WIP – 2010 – Great Mazinger’s Brain Condor


This is wip on the Brain Condor Great Mazinger , scale unknown.
For convenience (especially because I have to redo the pilot , Tetsuya Tsurugi !) I opted for a 1/48 scale , which still seems quite suitable .
Being a very old model , and particularly those with the spring wheels, I had to start taking drastic decisions for the many changes to make .
I removed the lower part which housed precisely the spring mechanism , closing all with plasticard and Bondo putty .

After buying a box of pilots in 1/48 scale , I started to remove all the surface parts of the pilot, and then tried to reconstruct the suit of Tetsuya . Of course the result is not great , but I can use it.
I still have to work a little bit on the helmet …
The cockpit is fully reconstructed in plasticard . I must admit that it is a bit tight for the pilot, but space is limited by the structure of the model …
I then moved on to detail the tools . Design is not just what we see in the cartoon, let’s say that I have made ​​it a little more ” real ” …
On the fuselage of the Condor I carved paneling , which I think make it more “bad” …

I wanted to try the technique described and used by the NKGC forum user Wittmann68 , giving a coat of primer on the model, followed by overlapping strokes of black, silver and white to get deep into the phase of aging and peeling.
Next step will be drafting a coat of silver and red color.
After a coat of Tamiya gloss black , I used Alclad for the first time , and I have to admit that they are great …

Then colored with the Tamiya transparent red , on the whole model .
After a night of drying , I masked with masking paper all the parts that had to be yellow . I then restored a coat of Alclad and Tamiya clear yellow .
Now all that remains is the central black stripe , a bit of weathering and voila ! ! The Brain Condor is OVER !

Finally I see approaching the end of this project !
After making chipping on the paint , I gave some coats of Tamiya transparent Smoke in some parts of the Brain Condor , such as reactors and front placket .
I then made ​​a couple of washes with brown oil .
Last modify before the matte transparent . As suggested by some forum users NKGC I modified the rear reactors .
Now I look much better …

I started then the base of the diorama , set in the sea. The Brain Condor is puttied and ready for color phase …

After fixing the base with frame and side walls , I put hand to the waves of the sea. I took a piece of wooden wall where the sea sinks to the force of the air produced by the passage of the “Condor” (of course after masked the base) .

Are then passed to the coloring step , starting from a Flat Blue Tamiya added a few drops of Flat Green. I then added more green to spend the crests of the waves. Eventually, with the soiled white green I rehearsed again the upper part of the waves.

With the same color , the more diluted and low pressure I did something similar to the ” Mottling ” , a technique that I discovered thanks to my friend Medorik (his Predator are spectacular ) from the forum NKGCommunity, and I started to make a lot of circles on the surface water , to simulate a bit of depth …
In the end I paint with a coat of Clear Blue to homogenize the whole …
The result seems quite convincing , bearing in mind that I have yet to create the water itself.

Inspired by an episode of the second series of Plamo Tsukurou I decided to try my hand at recreating the water. After painting the base with a blue green , I started to apply transparent silicone (to the one used to seal the windows).
The effect that is created is quite truthful …

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *